This is a beautifully restored 1963 Fiat 500D. The objective of the 500 model was to be an economical and practical choice for young Italians during its launch in 1957. This 4-speed manual Fiat 500D was purchased in the July 2005 in Mede, Italy. Its current owner imported it into Mexico in November. A complete top quality, documented restoration was conducted in 2006 and 2007, and an antique car certification was obtained in Mexico City in July 2008. This Fiat has taken top honors at several car events since 2008.
The Fiat 500 was produced between 1957 and 1975. It was an inexpensive and practical city car. At the beginning of 1953 Dante Giacosa started the “Nuova 500” project, known later as project number 110. On July 4, 1957 the new 500 was officially launched. This new project achieves an amazing production of 3,454,023 from 1957 to 1975. The 500D replaced the original Nuova in 1960. There are two key differences between the two models. One is the engine size: the D features an uprated 499cc engine producing 17 bhp. The other difference is the roof: the standard D roof does not fold back as far as the roof on the Nuova, though it was also available as the "Transformable" with the same roof as the Nuova. The D also features "suicide doors".
The diminutive 500D was very enjoyable to drive and, above all, tremendously practical. This is another great example and opportunity for the micro car enthusiast to add to their collection.