With three owners from new, this 1978 example comes with its service history as well as its original factory owner’s manual, jack and tools in its tool roll. Its exterior is finished in Kentucky Blue Metallic with a Fawn leather interior with Beige carpets, with refinished wheels and new tires. Mechanically it has received a full service maintenance, which included cooling system service, transmission, brake, differential and suspension service, as well as fluid and filter servicing. The car also features a rare factory sunroof, automatic transmission, as well as a factory stainless steel exhaust system.
Originally delivered to Denver, Colorado and sold through Aston Martin/Ferrari of Denver to its first owner who preferred the Aston Martin to the 308 Ferrari he was there to buy—and he enjoyed the car for the next ten years. The next owner of record in 1988 was Mr. Robert Andersen, a local prominent Denver attorney—and he enjoyed the car for the next 23 years, until it was purchased by its current owner in 2011, also a Denver resident. In its most recent ownership and with the last couple of years, the current owner has spent over $50,000 in servicing and refurbishment to maintain its current excellent condition.
The origins of Aston Martin began with the formation of Bamford & Martin in 1913 in London. At the time, Lionel Martin took a race-tuned Singer Ten to the Aston Clinton hill climb where it won its class. The decision was made to name the cars: Aston Martin. The following year, Martin installed a 4-cyl. Coventry Simplex engine onto an Isotta Fraschini chassis with plans to race the car, but WWI intervened and both men joined the war effort. The partnership with Bamford soon ended after the war in 1920, and a new financier was found in Count Louis Vorow Zborowski. Business resumed and the first Aston Martin was ready for the road in May 1921, but actual production did not start until 1922. The next two decades were tumultuous times for Aston Martin—an unhappy combination of product and financial successes and failures. Finally, David Brown—the Yorkshire industrialist—purchased the company in 1946 before postwar production began. The company also purchased Lagonda, with an eye on its 2.6 liter engine designed by W.O. Bentley who joined Lagonda after leaving the employ of Rolls-Royce, which acquired Bentley Motors in 1931. The car that emerged was the (“David Brown”) DB2, lauching the string of iconic DB cars—exploding with fame when in 1964 James Bond drove his DB5 in the movie Goldfinger. A reprise of financial tumult arose in the mid-1970s, but the company managed a turnaround and by 1977 was showing a profit. In a move to modernize the line, the V8 Vantage was introduced in 1977, and the drophead Volante in 1978—and later, the 4-door Lagonda saloon completed a full line for Aston Martin. The company continued to fall into financial difficulties, but continues to produce cars today—having benefited from a relationship with Daimler AG, which now owns 5% of Aston Martin.
Aston Martin has been described as a British cultural treasure—and it embraces its place with sporting elegance. This fine example of the marque has been cared for, and enjoys a complete owner pedigree along with rare desirable features—such as a factory sunroof and a factory stainless steel exhaust system. With all its maintenance up to date, it only awaits its next owner.