When the Mercedes-Benz 220S Sedan was introduced at the West German Automobile Show in Frankfurt in April of 1956, it featured a host of mechanical innovations as well as an elegant new body. This example was delivered to its first owner of Eastchester, NY, in 1959. Over the next few years, the owner enjoyed occasional use of his car and faithfully stored it in the garage of his Eastchester estate. This car has had only three owners since new and is an original, unrestored example.
Fairly early in the original forty-five years of ownership, this car became less a means of transportation and more a place for the owner to store his favorite driving hat (which comes with the car). Following the passing of the original owner, his Eastchester estate was sold to Gary Gersten, and the 220S, which was in storage in the only garage it had ever known, was thereby also acquired by Mr. Gersten in 2004. During his twelve years of ownership, however, the new owner is not known to have driven this car at all. In January of 2016, its current owner of Harrison, NY purchased this car. Under his direction, the car was recommissioned to running condition by rebuilding the fuel tank, replacing the fuel lines, rebuilding the carburetors, tuning the engine and rebuilding the brake system. As a result, the car is now in good running order, and receipts for the aforementioned work are included with the car. This Mercedes-Benz 220S is unrestored and has its original blue-gray paint and original red leather interior. Its mechanicals are all matching numbers, and it comes with an original owner’s manual, a binder of service bulletins and the original hub caps for all four wheels.
“Haspel’s directive to body engineer Karl Wilfert and his team had been brief and to the point: the cars’ styling had to be modern but the Mercedes radiator grille had to be retained.”Beverly Rae Kimes, The Star and The Laurel - The Centennial History, MBNA, 1986, 291.
The 220 sedan was introduced at the first international West German automobile show in Frankfurt in April of 1951. It was a very popular model and proved to be a sales success over the next five years. When the 220S was introduced at the same show in 1956, it featured a host of mechanical improvements as well as a larger, more elegant body. Production of this model lasted until the end of 1959. Over the years, this much admired body style has come to be distinguished from its successors by reference to its “pontoon” fenders.
The 6-cylinder engine of 2195 cc displacement featured a single overhead camshaft and two downdraft Solex carburetors. The transmission was a synchromesh 4-speed manual unit with a column shift. The fully independent suspension was by coil springs all around and featured the famous single-pivot swing axle at the rear. Overall, the new sedan was a more refined edition of the models that preceded it. Additional offerings in the 220S model range included a very handsome convertible and hard top coupe.
This Mercedes-Benz 220S Sedan is an unrestored example. It also has an excellent, continuous provenance with only three known owners from new, and it was the property of its first owner for forty-five years. This car has its original blue-gray paint and original red leather interior, and the mechanical components are all matching numbers. After recent service, this important Mercedes-Benz is now in good running order and ready to serve its fortunate next owner well.John Kleen, Vintage Consultant
Nitske, W R, Mercedes-Benz Production Models 1946-1975, Motorbooks International, 1977, 38